Today was my first full workout at Cross Fit (after I finished 3 on-ramp classes). I totally loved it! My favorite exercise today was barbell squats. I have to admit, I was never in to heavy lifting before, so it was a discovery for me. I did squats with 85lb. on my shoulders! Still have to work on my form a little, but I will nail it! So…barbell squats and why do we do them?
Barbell squat is a complex exercise that simultaneously works out multiple muscles like: quadriceps, glutes, hamstrings, calves, lower back muscles and abs. It is important to do it properly to not hurt yourself. First try it without any weight to get the right form. This is what you need to do:
– keep your knees behind your toes when in a squat position
– squat until your butt levels with your knees
– keep your back and head straight
– look in front of you
– point your toes a little bit to the sides
as for the barbell:
– position your hands just outside your shoulders in a pronated grip
– place the barbell on top of your trapezius muscles
– keep your back straight
Squats give you beautiful legs and round awesome-looking butt!